Half circled by the Blackwood River this reserve is a valuable patch of riverine vegetation providing an important habitat for birds, reptiles, frogs and small mammals. The Reserve was the site where the original Winnejup School was constructed. This school opened in 1908 and closed in 1943 when children were transferred to schools in the Bridgetown townsite. The school building continued to be used as a church and recreational meeting place until it was demolished in 1985.
Local community groups were instrumental in assisting the Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes in undertaking restoration work on the Reserve and the planting of local native species.
The Reserve has a series of walk trails, a bird watching point and picnic shelter. There is also an abundance of wildflowers during spring.