Sunnyside Reserve

Sunnyside Reserve is situated approximately 12 km along Tweed Road in Bridgetown, adjacent to the Blackwood River, with Carbanup Brook flowing from the south through the reserve and meeting the Blackwood River.  The reserve was initially used as a stock watering point.  The Hall was built in 1921 and used for monthly dances, and the reserve was vested with the Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes in 1971.

Sunnyside has healthy vegetation and a variety of plants, which provide valuable habitat for wildlife.  An initial survey has identified 120 species, which include various native buttercups, Running Postman and Native Wisteria, as well as Red and Green Kangaroo Paws.  The vegetation is predominantly Jarrah-Marri open woodland with an understory of wattle, pea scrub and native grasses.  A number of plants were used by Aboriginal people as food, including the small sweet fleshy fruit of Australian Bluebells, and Bardi grubs, which live in the trunks of dying trees and fruits of the Zamia, which require a lengthy period of treatment to be made edible.

There is a hall & toilets at the oval which is used for informal overnight camping.  There is access to the river to launch your canoe - it's pretty steep!

Drop into the Visitor Centre for more information and a map.

DSCF0648 Sunnyside c

DSCF0650 Sunnyside c